Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Fighting Mommy Fatigue

Have you ever just had one of those days where you wake up and already feel depleted as a mom?  I have...especially in the last two weeks.  There just seem to be days as a mom (especially if you have small children)  where you wake up knowing you are already spent and the day has just begun.  As I've had these days lately, I've been trying to find ways to fight this "mommy fatigue." Some of these ideas are my own, but most I've learned from other women in my life who are much wiser than me.

1.  Spend time with the Lord.
The best thing to do any day is to spend time with the Creator, but even more so on a tough day.  We believe the lie so much of the time as mothers that we must muscle through hard days in our own strength.  Isaiah 40:29-31 has been a passage that I have clung to these last couple of weeks.

"He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.  Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

Did you see that....he can give us the strength though we have none.  He IS our strength. Why do we listen to the lies of the enemy and try to go it alone?  Spending time with the Lord can be especially challenging if you have very small children that need lots of attention.  But I believe that the Lord can take even the small bit of the word we digest and multiply it for his glory.  So on those hard days, prayer journal a short prayer or find a short psalm that speaks exactly to your need.  Pray and ask they Lord to be glorified in your life as you seek to be the best wife and mother possible and know he will answer.

2.  Fresh Air
When I had my first child, a friend told me that every day I needed to step outside once and breath in the air outside my front door, even if it was just for a few minutes.  As a stay at home mom sometimes I get so caught up in the world inside my house that I fail to remember that there is a bigger world out there.  My first baby was difficult to soothe in the early months and a terrible sleeper.  There would be times where I had to lay her down in her crib and walk out the front door for just a few minutes to regain my sanity and then, go back into battle. Something about that brief break seemed to help me feel slightly refreshed and able to go on.

3.  Get out of the house.
This is kind of in the same vein as the last tip.  I can get so caught up with everything that there is to do at home...and frankly, sometimes staying put is easier than setting foot outside the house with three that are four and under.  But every once in awhile, the change of pace really helps my stamina as a mama.  You don't even have to get out of the car....just get out of the house!  Sonic and starbucks drink runs seem simple, but can make a big difference on a day that is difficult.  Are the kids crazy?  Go for a walk on a trail or at a park to burn off some energy (maybe after you've already made that starbucks drink run!)

4.  Get Moving
For me personally, I am a much better mom and wife when I exercise.  I can always tell a difference in energy levels the days I get up and get a workout in.  It doesn't have to be anything crazy, but even just a good walk can help you blow off some steam of mommyhood stress.  Find something you like to do and get your blood pumping.

5. Fuel Your Body
My husband has done quite a bit of overseas traveling.  One thing he always advises our students to do is to stay hydrated as they travel and after they return.  Jet lag can be brutal, but dehydration can make it even more miserable.  As a mama, there are seasons we run on little sleep and low energy.  On those days, make sure you drink plenty of water to stay hydrated so as not to make the fatigue you have even worse.  Also, make sure you are eating a healthy diet....lots of whole foods.  Make sure your diet isn't just the crusts of your children's pb and j's and a handful of goldfish.  Take care of yourself so you can take care of your family.

6. Phone a Friend
Do you have friend's that you can text or call on a hard day?  I am very thankful that the Lord has given me some of these friendships as I have become a mom.  I have a handful of friends that I can text and request prayer from anytime I need to.  I also have friends who are willing to come over or meet up so our kids can play and I can get a break.  Don't have those kind of friends yet????  Then, start by being one of those friends.  As believers, we are called to bear one another's burdens and share in one another's joy.  My mother in law says you have to teach people how to treat you.  Maybe sometimes that means making the first move and taking your friend's children on a hard day for her and hopefully she in turn will learn to do the same for you.

7. Read something encouraging
A pastor's wife gave me this idea.  She said take 15 minutes everyday to read something encouraging.  I try to find something that helps renew my perspective on the days that I can't see past all of the discipline I've had to hand out that day.  Find some good books on being a godly wife and mother, something that will give you renewed vigor as you seek to glorify the Lord in raising godly children.

8.  Write yourself encouraging reminders
When I did my student teaching, I had an excellent mentor teacher who gave lots of feedback.  One way she gave feedback was to write little stick it notes while I taught a lesson and leave the notes on my desk for me to look over later.  I have index cards stuck all over the cabinets near my kitchen sink...since I'm there a lot.  Most are verses I am trying to apply to my life (Lots of verses about kindness and patience right now!), but I also have quotes from wise wives and mothers that I want to try to emulate.  It's funny how you glance at those little index cards and the words begin to seep into your mind and prayerfully work themselves out in your life.

This is by no means an extensive list, but one I hope will help you on the days that seem impossibly long and tiring.  Keep up the good fight,  mama's out there....you are doing kingdom work that has ETERNAL VALUE!




No comments:

Post a Comment